I am addicted to this delicious nut milk
I am pretty much avoiding dairy as it just doesn't seem to agree with me, so have been experimenting a lot with non-dairy alternatives. Whilst the range of non-dairy milk options available in the supermarket has expanded rapidly over the last few years, if you look at the ingredients lists many do not seem to contain much of the headline ingredient - 2% nuts....really! Instead they contain a load of other things that are not exactly delicious, such as thickers and gums. and other ingredients you can't pronounce.
However, it is SO easy to make it yourself. All you need is the following:
- A large handful of nuts - almond, cashew, hazelnuts or even pistachio. Preferably soak them overnight in the fridge (any pre-soaking will help)
- Drain and blend with 250-300ml water
- Pulse in a high powered blender
- Strain through a nut bag or even an old (but clean!) stocking / pop sock etc
- If you want you can use honey or stevia to sweeten, but I prefer not.
To turbo charge this further you can add other flavours and super foods. My current FAVOURITE is this:
- One large handful of soaked cashews
- 250ml water
- 1 level tsp pure cacao powder
- Generous shake of cinnamon
- Splash of good vanilla essence
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 date
Blend and drink...I don't even bother straining as I am too impatient. A great option after a gym session.